SpecificationsTIME INC. DIGITAL ADVERTISING STANDARDS
With the arrival of a digital era in the graphic arts industry, a lack of agreeable standards hindered the progress of increasingly efficient methods for the creation and distribution of digital advertising. Thus, in collaboration with various industry groups such as Digital Ad Lab, SWOP and the former DDAP Association, Time Inc. advocated for the development and adherence of standards when creating digital advertising intended for print. It was decided upon that the specifications for PDF/X-1a compliant files would be suitable for all areas of the digital advertising process.
As of January 1, 2004, all ad files submitted to Time Inc. titles must be supplied in PDF/X-1a format.
Time Inc. will no longer accept native application files, such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc.
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale, also not all sizes are available. Please refer to the mechanical specifications below to see which are available.
|Ad Size||Bleed||Live / Safety||Non Bleed||Trim|
|Page||8.625” x 10.75”||7.875” x 10”||7.50” x 10”||8.375” x 10.50”|
|SPREAD||17” x 10.75”||16.25” x 10”||16” x 10”||16.75” x 10.50”|
|1/2 Page Vertical||8.625” x 5.50”||7.875” x 4.75”||3.625” x 10”||8.375” x 5.25”|
|1/3 Page Vertical (One Column)||3.125” x 10.75”||2.375” x 10”||2.25” x 10”||2.875” x 10.50”|
|2/3 Page Vertical (Two Columns)||5.625” x 10.75”||4.875” x 10”||4.625” x 10”||5.375” x 10.50”|
|1/2 Page Horizontal||8.625” x 5.50”||7.875” x 4.75”||7.5” x 4.875”||8.375” x 5.25”|
|1/2 Spread Horizontal||17” x 5.50”||16.25” x 4.75”||16” x 4.875”||16.75” x 5.25”|
|1/3 Square||n/a||n/a||4.625” x 4.875”||n/a|
|COTTAGE LIVING : 31-Jan-08|
|Issue / Edition||Contact||Phone Number|
|Cottage Living(all editions)||Kerri Bonner||205-445-7324|
Please adhere to the guidelines below when preparing files. Ensure that only one ad is included per PDF/X-1a file.Images
- All high-resolution images must be included. Do not embed OPI information in files.
- Images are required to be SWOP TR 005 compliant.
- CMYK or Grayscale only. Convert any Spot colors not intended to print into CMYK.
- Minimum resolution of 200 dpi.
- Screening: 133 lpi for Body & Cover.
- Apply image trapping as needed.
- Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files.
- Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no ICC profiles embedded.
- Only use Type 1 or TrueType fonts.
- Text containing thin lines, serifs, or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Reverse lettering: For CMYK advertisements should be spread with the dominant color used for letter shapes, while subordinate colors are to be spread slightly, to minimize registration issues.
- Surpinting/Overprinting: When type is intended to surprint/overprint, the background should be no heavier than 30% in any color and a total of no more than 90% in all four colors.
Maximum dimensions for file, inclusive of all marks, color
bars and agency information:
Single Page: 11” wide x 17” highSpread Page: 22” wide x 17” high
Marks & Positioning
- Include standard Trim, Bleed & Center marks for ALL separations placed .5” outside Trim area.
Include a 6mm CMYK strip (included in
Time Inc. - Advertiser Kit)
with the following values:
5% Cyan 25% Magenta 20% Yellow 100% Black
- File should be Right Reading, Portrait Mode, and sized at 100%, with no rotations applied.
- For Full Page Ads, all content intended to print must be kept at 3/8” from Bleed edge.
- For Spread Ads, all live content should be kept at 3/8” from gutter for each side, for a total 3/4” combined.
- For safety information on Partial Ads, please refer to the MECHANICAL SPECIFICATIONS chart above.
- To create an acceptable PDF/X-1a file, please click on the PDF Guide link above to access specific instructions for your application.
CD-ROM media is currently accepted for submission. Please be advised that submitted material will not be returned.Proofs
- 1 SWOP press proof or 1 SWOP off-press proof is required for color guidance on press. Supply a digital proof that matches the supplied digital ad.
- Pull press proofs head to foot without drying intervals between colors in order to simulate wet printing conditions, using SWOP-recommended offset proofing stock 60# basis weight paper of 70 brightness. Use lighter-weight stock if possible, so as to more closely approximate magazine conditions.
- Color rotation for 4-color: cyan, magenta, yellow, black. For black & white and black & 1-color, the color should be first down.
- For quality control, please include 6 mm 5%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 95%, 100% in C, M, Y, K patches.
- All ads will be centered on page unless accompanied with a ruled proof.
COTTAGE LIVING magazine is perfect bound.Postal Address
Send Ad Materials Only to:
C/O Quad Graphics
N63 W23075 Main Street
Sussex, WI 53089
For shipping inquiries only, contact Luke Zuchowski at 414.566.6000