SpecificationsTIME INC. DIGITAL ADVERTISING STANDARDS
With the arrival of a digital era in the graphic arts industry, a lack of agreeable standards hindered the progress of increasingly efficient methods for the creation and distribution of digital advertising. Thus, in collaboration with various industry groups such as Digital Ad Lab, SWOP and the former DDAP Association, Time Inc. advocated for the development and adherence of standards when creating digital advertising intended for print. It was decided upon that the specifications for PDF/X-1a compliant files would be suitable for all areas of the digital advertising process.
As of January 1, 2004, all ad files submitted to Time Inc. titles must be supplied in PDF/X-1a format.
Time Inc. will no longer accept native application files, such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc. Additionally, TIFF/IT-P1 files are also not accepted.
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale, also not all sizes are available. Please refer to the mechanical specifications below to see which are available.
For ads running in SPORTS ILLUSTRATED and GOLF MAGAZINE.
For ads running in SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, SI GOLF PLUS, SI PRESENTS, and SI FOR KIDS only.
- Athena Battalen (Athena_Wyman-Battalen@timeinc.com) 212-522-0201
|Sports Illustrated Kids : 2013 Issues|
|Issue / Edition||Ad Close||Newstand On Sale|
The following guidelines should be followed when creating content for print advertising. Ensure that only one ad is included per PDF/X-1a file.Images
- All high-resolution images must be included. Do not embed OPI information in files.
- Images are required to be SWOP TR 005 compliant.
- CMYK or Grayscale only. Convert any Spot colors not intended to print into CMYK.
- Minimum resolution of 200 dpi.
- Screening set at 133 lpi.
- Apply image trapping as needed.
- Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files.
- Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no ICC profiles embedded.
- Only use Type 1 or TrueType fonts.
- Text containing thin lines, serifs, or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Reverse lettering: For CMYK advertisements should be spread with the dominant color used for letter shapes, while subordinate colors are to be spread slightly, to minimize registration issues.
- Surpinting/Overprinting: When type is intended to surprint/overprint, the background should be no heavier than 30% in any color and a total of no more than 90% in all four colors.
Maximum dimensions for file, inclusive of all marks,
color bars and agency information
Single Page: 11” wide x 17” highSpread Page: 22” wide x 17” high
Marks & Positioning
- Include standard Trim, Bleed & Center marks for ALL separations placed .5” outside Trim area.
Include a 6mm CMYK strip (included in
Time Inc. - Advertiser Kit)
with the following values:
5% Cyan 25% Magenta 20% Yellow 100% Black
- File should be Right Reading, Portrait Mode, and sized at 100%, with no rotations applied.
- Live Material and Safety for Bleed Units: Live matter intended to print must be positioned in accordance with the live/safety spec of the ad, for both full and partial page ads. Live area is 1/4” from top and bottom and 7/16” on either side (based on trim size).
- Spreads and Half Horizontal units: Type crossing the gutter should be positioned 1/16” from center fold on each page to provide 1/8” total separation. Safety for live area is 1/4” from top and bottom. Safety for face sides is 7/16”. Safety dimensions are noted above. Engraver must keep all crop and register marks 1/2” outside the trim of the magazine for full-page and spread ads.
- Sports Illustrated Presents & Other Perfect Bound Spread Specifications: Gutter safety for spreads and half horizontal spreads will be 1/4” total, 1/8” on either side of gutter.
- To create an acceptable PDF/X-1a file, please click on the PDF Guide link above to access specific instructions for your application.
Files must be submitted via the Time Inc. Ad Portal. Please click on the Ad Portal Guide link above to access step-by-step instructions on how to submit a file.Proofs
All SPORTS ILLUSTRATED magazines are presently using Virtual Proofing at our printing plants and are no longer accepting hard proofs from advertisers. Please click on the Virtual Proofing Guide link above to access information on submitting a Virtual Proof compliant file.Binding
SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, SI GOLF PLUS, SI PRESENTS, and SI FOR KIDS magazines are saddle-stitched, with the exception of SWIMSUIT and select SI Presents issues.SPOT Colors
Advertisements which include spot colors will be charged an additional production cost.Titles with SHARED Specifications