TIME INC. DIGITAL ADVERTISING STANDARDS
With the arrival of a digital era in the graphic arts industry, a lack of agreeable standards hindered the progress of increasingly efficient methods for the creation and distribution of digital advertising. Thus, in collaboration with various industry groups such as Digital Ad Lab, SWOP and the former DDAP Association, Time Inc. advocated for the development and adherence of standards when creating digital advertising intended for print. It was decided upon that the specifications for PDF/X-1a compliant files would be suitable for all areas of the digital advertising process.
As of January 1, 2004, all ad files submitted to Time Inc. titles must be supplied in PDF/X-1a format.
Time Inc. will no longer accept native application files, such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc. Additionally, TIFF/IT-P1 files are also not accepted.
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale, also not all sizes are available. Please refer to the mechanical specifications below to see which are available.
|Ad Size||Bleed||Non Bleed||Trim|
|Page||206 x 273mm||178 x 254mm||200 x 267mm|
|Spread||406 x 273mm||381 x 254mm||400 x 267mm|
|1/2 Page Vertical||105 x 273mm||86 x 254mm||98 x 267mm|
|1/3 Page Vertical (One Column)||73 x 273mm||54 x 254mm||67 x 267mm|
|2/3 Page Vertical (Two Columns)||133 x 273mm||117 x 254mm||127 x 267mm|
|1/2 Page Horizontal||206 x 133mm||178 x 114mm||200 x 127mm|
|1/2 Spread Horizontal||406 x 133mm||381 x 114mm||400 x 127mm|
|TIME CANADA : 11-Jan-08|
|Issue / Edition||Contact||Phone Number|
The following guidelines should be followed when creating content for print advertising. Ensure that only one ad is included per PDF/X-1a file.Images
- All high-resolution images must be included. Do not embed OPI information in files.
- Images are required to be SWOP TR 005 compliant.
- CMYK or Grayscale only. Convert any Spot colors not intended to print into CMYK.
- Minimum resolution of 200 dpi.
- Screening set at 54 lines/cm.
- Apply image trapping as needed.
- Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files.
- Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no ICC profiles embedded.
- Only use Type 1 or TrueType fonts.
- Text containing thin lines, serifs, or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Reverse lettering: For CMYK advertisements should be spread with the dominant color used for letter shapes, while subordinate colors are to be spread slightly, to minimize registration issues.
- Surpinting/Overprinting: When type is intended to surprint/overprint, the background should be no heavier than 30% in any color and a total of no more than 90% in all four colors.
Maximum dimensions for file, inclusive of all marks,
color bars and agency information
Single Page: 280mm wide x 320mm highSpread Page: 500mm wide x 320mm high
Marks & Positioning
- Include standard Trim, Bleed & Center marks for ALL separations placed 13mm outside Trim area.
Include a 6mm CMYK strip (included in
Time Inc. - Advertiser Kit)
with the following values:
5% Cyan 25% Magenta 20% Yellow 100% Black
- File should be Right Reading, Portrait Mode, and sized at 100%, with no rotations applied.
All safety dimensions are off the bleed sizes.
- Live Material and Safety for Bleed Units: Live matter intended to print must be positioned in accordance with the non-bleed size of the ad, for both full and partial page ads.
- Bleed page units: Safety for live area (type or illustrative material not intended to bleed off the page) is 10mm from trim edge.
- Spreads and Half Horizontal units: Type or illustrative matter should not be closer than 2mm to the spine on each page, which provides a total of 4mm for separation. Any image exceeding this area could possibly be lost in the center, producing an unsatisfactory result.
- Oversized Non-bleed Material. Any ad unit that measures in excess of the Non-bleed requirements is considered to be a Bleed unit and is subject to a 15% Bleed charge.
- To create an acceptable PDF/X-1a file, please click on the PDF Guide link above to access specific instructions for your application.
Files must be submitted via the Time Inc. Ad Portal. Please click on the Ad Portal Guide link above to access step-by-step instructions on how to submit a file.Proofs
TIME Canada magazine is presently using Virtual Proofing at its printing plants and is no longer accepting hard proofs from advertisers. Please click on the Virtual Proofing Guide link above to access information on submitting a Virtual Proof compliant file.Paper Stock
Body Stock: 30#
Cover Stock: 60#
TIME Canada magazine is saddle-stitched.SPOT Colors
Advertisements which include spot colors will be charged an additional production cost.Disposal of Submitted Materials
TIME Canada magazine assumes no liability for any and all advertising materials submitted. Other than as explicitly agreed upon in writing and in the absence of disposition instructions, such materials will be discarded seven months after issue date.Print Reproductions
- Publisher reserves the right to attempt to match second colors by using process colors.
- Reproduction quality is at the advertiser's risk if publisher's specifications are not met or if material is received after closing date, even if on extension.
- Queries concerning printed reproduction should be submitted within three weeks of issue date.