With the arrival of a digital era in the graphic arts industry, a lack of agreeable standards hindered the progress of increasingly efficient methods for the creation and distribution of digital advertising. Thus, in collaboration with various industry groups such as Digital Ad Lab, SWOP and the former DDAP Association, Time Inc. advocated for the development and adherence of standards when creating digital advertising intended for print. It was decided upon that the specifications for PDF/X-1a compliant files would be suitable for all areas of the digital advertising process.
As of January 1, 2004, all ad files submitted to Time Inc. titles must be supplied in PDF/X-1a format.
Time Inc. will no longer accept native application files, such as QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc. Additionally, TIFF/IT-P1 files are also not accepted.
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale, also not all sizes are available. Please refer to the mechanical specifications below to see which are available.
|TIME EMEA/British Isles|
|Time EMEA Ad Production||TI-PR-TIMEADPROD@timeinc.com|
The following guidelines should be followed when creating content for print advertising. Ensure that only one ad is included per PDF/X-1a file.Images
- All high-resolution images must be included. Do not embed OPI information in files.
- Images are required to be SWOP TR 005 compliant.
- CMYK or Grayscale only. Convert any Spot colors not intended to print into CMYK.
- Minimum resolution of 200 dpi.
- Screening set at 54 lines/cm.
- Apply image trapping as needed.
- Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files.
- Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no ICC profiles embedded.
- Four color images is 300% with one solid only.
- Black and white images is 85% for areas not intended to print solid.
The use of this technique, or in some cases PCR or "Unbunt" techniques, is strongly recommended in color reproduction.
Color images framed by a black border should run .02mm wider than the border.
- Only use Type 1 or TrueType fonts.
- Text containing thin lines, serifs, or small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Reverse lettering: For CMYK advertisements, text elements should be at least 8 points. Additonally, such text elements should be spread with the dominant color used for letter shapes, while subordinate colors are to be spread slightly, to minimize registration issues. It is suggested that text elements on dark or black backgrounds be 0.2mm wider than the heaviest color (black).
- Surpinting/Overprinting: When type is intended to surprint/overprint, the background should be no heavier than 30% in any color and a total of no more than 90% in all four colors.
Maximum dimensions for file, inclusive of all marks,
color bars and agency information
Single Page: 280mm wide x 320mm highSpread Page: 500mm wide x 320mm high
Marks & Positioning
- Include standard Trim, Bleed & Center marks for ALL separations placed 13mm outside Trim area.
Include a 6mm CMYK strip (included in
Time Inc. - Advertiser Kit)
with the following values:
5% Cyan 25% Magenta 20% Yellow 100% Black
- File should be Right Reading, Portrait Mode, and sized at 100%, with no rotations applied.
- Live Material and Safety for Bleed Units: Live matter intended to print must be positioned in accordance with the non-bleed size of the ad, for both full and partial page ads.
- Bleed page units: Safety for live area (type or illustrative material not intended to bleed off the page) is 10mm from trim edge.
- Spreads and Half Horizontal units: Type or illustrative matter should not be closer than 2mm to the spine on each page, which provides a total of 4mm for separation. Any image exceeding this area could possibly be lost in the center, producing an unsatisfactory result.
Creating PDF/X-1a File
- To create an acceptable PDF/X-1a file, please click on the PDF Guide link above to access specific instructions for your application.
Files must be submitted via the Time Inc. Ad Portal. Please click on the Ad Portal Guide link above to access step-by-step instructions on how to submit a file.Proofs
*Please note that we no longer require any hard proofs for color guidance. We do however, require that the ad files are created and adhere to the SWOP2006 Coated5 (TR005) Publication Specifications. Once your files are created to SWOP5 Specifications, our printing partners will simply print using the ISO 12647-2 Printing Standards to maintain proper and repeatable reproduction.Paper Stock
Body Stock: 30#
Cover Stock: 60#
TIME EMEA/British Isles magazine is saddle-stitched.Standards
TIME EMEA/British Isles magazine adheres to FIPP Specifications for European Offset and SWOP (Specifications for Web Offset Publications)